21 Insightful Tweets About Rice Farming in Nigeria

The cost of Rice has drastically increased in the country and a lot of Nigerians are complaining about the rising cost of a bag rice. Rice is nationally recognised as the staple food of most Nigerians.

Its is estimated that Nigeria’s rice consumption will reach 35m tonnes by 2050. As at 2012, the former Minister of and Rural Development, Dr Akinwunmi Adesina said “the country imports today 500,000 tonnes of brown rice which is imported into the country from other countries.”

Ricepedia claims that “the three rice production environments and their coverage in Nigeria are rainfed lowland (69.0%), irrigated lowland (2.7%), and rainfed upland (28.3%).
“More than 90% of Nigeria’s rice is produced by resource-poor small-scale farmers, while the remaining 10% is produced by corporate/commercial farmers.”About 95% of the processors are small-scale with low-capacity and obsolete mills. Nigeria possesses a huge but largely untapped potential for developing irrigated rice. There

“There are an estimated 3.14 million ha of irrigable land, out of which less than 50,000 ha are growing irrigated rice. Nigeria has large irrigation schemes in Anambra, Kwara, Kogi, Adamawa, Niger, Sokoto, Kebbi, Borno, Bauchi, and Benue states.”

During our Twitter Chat with Olawale Ojo of Agropreneur Nigeria, we discovered that the most important issue bothering Rice Farming and Production in Nigeria is empowering farmers to upscale, process and package locally produced Rice properly.

Download 21 Insightful Tweets About Rice Farming in Nigeria

Trackbacks and pingbacks

No trackback or pingback available for this article.

Leave a reply